Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Hysterosalpingogram

I had this test last August 2007. These is the most difficult test i have been through. I was admitted in the hospital at 12:30pm and discharged on the same day at 8:30 pm. I was under sedation so after the test around 3:30pm, I was asleep for 4 hours inside the delivery room! Oh my! My husband who was with me during that time was advised to stay outside the DR was already worried. He brought with him his gameboy to keep himself relax and not to keep himself worry about me. He can't remember how many times he asked the nurses there if I already woke up. At last, I woke up around 7:30 PM and got the results at 8:00 pm. I was so unhappy with the results, i thought it's worth all the pains and worries i've been through. My left fallopian tube is blocked according to the results. My OB Gyne who did the test told me not to get sad because I'm still capable of conceiving.

I googled and searched through internet regarding this, yes, I'm still capable of conceiving! Thank GOD! We just needed proper timing and work ups because of my condition. And I wanted to share some informations i have gathered and learned.

A hysterosalpingogram (HSG) is an X-ray test that looks at the inside of the uterus and fallopian tubes and the area around them. It often is done for women who are having a hard time becoming pregnant (infertile).

During a hysterosalpingogram, a dye (contrast material) is put through a thin tube that is put through the vagina and into the uterus. Because the uterus and the fallopian tubes are hooked together, the dye will flow into the fallopian tubes. Pictures are taken using a steady beam of X-ray (fluoroscopy) as the dye passes through the uterus and fallopian tubes. The pictures can show problems such as an injury or abnormal structure of the uterus or fallopian tubes, or a blockage that would prevent an egg moving through a fallopian tube to the uterus. A blockage also could prevent sperm from moving into a fallopian tube and joining (fertilizing) an egg. A hysterosalpingogram also may find problems on the inside of the uterus that prevent a fertilized egg from attaching (implanting) to the uterine wall.

Why is this Done?

A hysterosalpingogram is done to:

  • Find a blocked fallopian tube. The test often is done for a woman who is having a hard time becoming pregnant. An infection may cause severe scarring of the fallopian tubes and block the tubes, preventing pregnancy. Occasionally the dye used during a hysterosalpingogram will push through and open a blocked tube.
  • Find problems in the uterus, such as an abnormal shape or structure, an injury, polyps, fibroids, adhesions, or a foreign object in the uterus. These types of problems may cause painful menstrual periods or repeated miscarriages.
  • See whether surgery to reverse a tubal ligation has been successful.
This test should be done 2 to 5 days after your menstrual period has ended to be sure you are not pregnant. It should also be done before you ovulate the next month (unless you are using contraception) to avoid using X-rays during an early pregnancy. You may want to bring along a sanitary napkin to wear after the test because some leakage of the X-ray dye may occur along with slight bleeding.

No comments: